Cleanings and Prevention
Routine dental checkups are vital to your oral hygiene and overall health. The best way to detect problems at their earliest stages - saving you unnecessary discomfort, time, and money - is to receive regular dental cleanings. Our knowledgeable and dedicated hygienists use the latest instruments and products to customize a hygiene and home care plan for you.
Periodontal and Gum Therapy
Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection of the gums and tissues that support your teeth. Research shows a growing relationship between the health of your mouth and your general health. Our office is equipped to identify and treat periodontal disease at any stage. As part of our prevention-based approach to dentistry, we also include periodontal assessments (and, if necessary, additional gum treatment) during your routine hygiene appointments.
Fluoride Treatment and Wellness Care
Fluoride treatments protect and support the enamel on your teeth, which is important to your long-term dental health. This service can also reduce tooth sensitivity. Fluoride treatments are available for both adult and pediatric patients.
Snore and Sleep Appliances
We offer custom mouth appliances that can help reduce snoring and allow you (or your significant other) a restful night of sleep.
Our custom made mouth guards help prevent or reduce damage caused by grinding and clenching your teeth. Without treatment, grinding and clenching your teeth can lead to serious (and painful) dental problems. If you suffer from headaches, TMJ pain, or find yourself clenching frequently, a mouth guard may be just what you need. We also make custom sports mouth guards to protect the teeth of our athletes who participate in contact sports!
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial office visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of Diagnostic X-rays (Radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. We also offer OralID screenings, which is state-of-the-art technology that can detect oral mucosal abnormalities undetectable to the naked eye. The process utilizes a UV light, so it is quick and painless.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of Tooth Decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of Calculus (Tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of Plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth Polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.